This is a call for expression of interest (EOI) in the role Operations and Procurement Officer for Australia’s Strongim Bisnis’
Operations and Procurement Officer (OPO)
Honiara, Solomon Islands with provincial travel
Full-time, fixed term
Line manager and Directly report to
Senior Finance and Operations Manager (SFOM)
Finance Officer, Operations and Procurement Officer, Administration and Office Support Officer, and wider members of the Program team
Deadline for submission of applications: 27 November 2023 11:59pm
Applications and questions should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background to Australia's Strongim Bisnis
Strongim Bisnis is an innovative pro-business program funded by the Australian Government.
Strongim Bisnis supports Solomon Islands businesses to increase productivity, access greater income earning opportunities and higher value markets, with the intention of enabling greater resilience and creating jobs. Poverty reduction will be the desired result. Strongim Bisnis also supports the private sector and the Solomon Islands Government to work together effectively to increase opportunities for trade and investment and accelerate business growth. A key focus of the program ensures that Solomon Islands women, youth and people with disability have increased economic opportunities.
The program takes a market systems development (MSD) approach to unlocking opportunities for growth in selected sectors (cocoa, coconut, tourism, timber, horticulture, financial services, and waste management). MSD requires Strongim Bisnis to carefully select partnerships, and design interconnected activities that deliver tangible and measurable results. For each activity it must be possible to track progress from improving the performance of Solomon Islands enterprises, to achieving resilient systemic change in markets, and ultimately increasing income and employment. In this way, Strongim Bisnis avoids ad hoc activities and seeks deep engagement with market actors.
Strongim Bisnis activities may include developing and testing new business models, sharing the risk of new ventures in partnership with private sector actors, facilitating market access, supporting structural changes to the ‘business enabling environment’, product marketing to bring about greater scale, and improving women, youth, and people with disability’s participation in markets and their access and control over productive resources.
Position summary and justification for the role
The Operations and Procurement Officer is part of Strongim Bisnis’ Operations team, consisting of the Senior Finance and Operations Manager, two Operations and Procurement Officers, Finance Officer, Administration and Office Support Officer, and Cleaner. This position is primarily responsible for supporting the program on operations, logistics, procurement, and administration.
Duties and responsibilities
Logistics, Travel, and Office Management:
- Support Strongim Bisnis’ logistical and operational requirements to ensure office systems and processes are established and maintained (including vehicle management, procurement assessments, purchase orders, Health, Safety and Security (HSS), networks/ICT, work health and safety(WH&S).
- Ensure travel arrangements for personnel travelling within Solomon Islands and internationally through an approved Journey Management Plan is made in a timely manner.
- Work with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager to ensure processes for the mobilisation, demobilisation, onboarding, and orientation of new personnel are implemented and adhered to.
- Lead the process of obtaining relevant approvals for international advisers working in Solomon Islands, including visa and work permit exemptions.
- Planning and organising travel, accommodation, venue, catering and local transport under approved program activities.
- Development and review of travel budgets and review of cash advance request and acquittals, including support to the Finance Officer in cash advance reconciliation.
- Organise travel, accommodation, venue, for program events and workshops.
- Ensure vehicles are properly maintained in coordination with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager, including cleanliness, being fuelled, mechanical and safety functions kept in order.
- In consultation with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager, support the procurement functions of Strongim Bisnis including market assessments, approaching the market, and identifying subcontractors and suppliers.
- Support Business Advisers through the procurement processes in their implementation of Flexible Fund initiatives, ensuring their activities observe ASI and DFAT policies and procedures including liaising with suppliers, obtaining, and evaluating quotes and invoice, receipt of funds/assets, and record keeping.
- Support the procurement of Strongim Bisnis assets and establish and maintain the asset management system (i.e., the assets register).
- Work with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager to ensure assets are maintained and up to the requisite operational and safety standards, including program vehicles.
- Support the Senior Finance and Operations to ensure ASI Solomon Islands Pty Ltd entity is compliant with Solomon Islands Government regulatory requirements (including registration, tax and importing exemptions for goods and assets).
- As required, support the Senior Finance and Operations Manager in providing costings on procurement and logistics.
- Support the Senior Finance and Operations Manager with HR record keeping including contracts, timesheets, and pay slips as requested.
- Assist Strongim Bisnis Operations team with filing, printing, photocopying, scanning of documents and receipts.
- Undertake driving duties as required, including transport of Strongim Bisnis staff/guests and delivery/transportation of goods.
- Provide cover for Operations team members when needed and/or when on leave.
- As required, contribute to periodic reports and plans within the scope of responsibilities.
- Any other duties as identified by the Team Leader, Senior Finance and Operations Manager, and/or ASI Program Manager.
Required qualifications, experience, and attributes
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A relevant university degree or diploma with demonstrated experience in a similar role/s.
- More than three years’ experience in procurement, logistics and operational support for businesses, government and/or donor-funded programs.
- Excellent organisational skills and competence/integrity in maintaining office records.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collegially with partner organisations and staff from a range of backgrounds.
- Strong working knowledge of MSOffice programs.
- Fluency in Pijin and an excellent command of both oral and written English.
The following skills/experience would be an advantage:
- Experience of the public sector in Solomon Islands.
- A Solomon Islands driving license.
How to Apply
Please submit your application before 27 November 2023 11:59pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) to: email@example.com
Please use the following subject line in your email: "Application for Operations and Procurement Officer."
Applications should include:
- Cover letter of no more than two pages addressing the position selection criteria
- CV of no more than four pages
- Contact details of three professional referees
Salary level is negotiable, commensurate with experience and the Solomon Islands market. Applicable benefits and entitlements are in line with SB policies and applicable Solomon Islands’ laws.
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, we encourage you to reach out to the Strongim Bisnis team via firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Strongim Bisnis Office on +677 25664.